Marilee J. Layman (mjlayman) wrote,
Marilee J. Layman

This journal has been placed in memorial status. New entries cannot be posted to it.

Minicon 43 Thursday

I'd heard at the work party that nobody was planning on being in until 2pm, so I slept until noon again, got something to eat, and went up to the suite a few minutes before 2pm. I waited about half an hour (working on the crochet I took) then I went to lean on the balcony over the indoor pool and open area. The pool was green. When I looked Wednesday night, just to make sure everything was still there, the pool was blue. We found out later that they combined some chemicals that turned the water green, but it was still safe to use.

I decided to go crochet in the lobby and see if people were coming in and out and as I was almost there, I ran into one of the co-chairs, Keith. He had just picked Alastair Reynolds up at the station and he had no con suite keys. Al came down the hallway just then and I introduced myself to him. He and Keith went off one direction and I sat down in one of a set of four chairs to crochet and wait. Then the other co-chair, Matt-who-does-not-speak-in-public, and his wife Kelly came in and they didn't have keys either, so they sat down and we talked a bit. We had the truck, but no use unloading until there's a place to put stuff. Then Keith showed up again -- turned out he and Al and Shawna McCarthy, the editor GoH, were in the bar, and I think Keith meant to invite just Matt & Kelly in, but I went along. Keith's wife Andra was there and we all talked a bit (Al is a trainfan, too -- he'd flown into Chicago and trained down) and then Keith had keys made for the con suite and the non-GoHs went up.

I assumed my standard Thursday afternoon position -- anchoring the con suite so it doesn't have to be locked in between trips, and telling people who could help to go do so while talking to the folks who can't. It took a while to get everything in and then the con suite head showed up with the original keys. They'd been to lunch and Costco. Lots of Costco. After unloading, people settled down with work, talk, or play (I'd been crocheting), and I was asked to play Zar. I'd played Uno many years ago and this was similar. I didn't do very well, but Callie said I didn't make the two beginner mistakes (then again, Kelly coached me through the first couple of hands).

We started thinking about dinner and ended up with 10 of us going for dim sum (eleven, but she had dim sum and hot pot after her mother metabolized it). Once there, some had dim sum and some had hot pot. We needed better manners about when to turn the big glass turntable. It was very good but when we got back, I needed to put my feet up and rest for the con start and went up to my room. I read some more old WashPosts with my feet up and then went to bed.

I forgot to say that this bathroom had a transfer bench while the non-Club level bathrooms had had just benches in in the tub other years. I can stand once I'm in, it's the stepping over the tub edge and not falling that's a problem. A transfer bench is great for sitting while getting into the tub (I have one here at home in the storeroom for when I need to use the guest bathroom's tub). I really hope they upgraded all the handicapped bathrooms and not just the Club level!
Tags: minicon

  • The New Rheumatologist

    And boy do I feel old! She doesn't look much older than 25, but probably is, since Kaiser requires doctors to be board-certified. We went over all…

  • Stepped into the Donut Hole

    Yes, the meds I ordered Saturday and Monday pushed me into the donut hole. Medicare is supposed to send me $250 and more money every month until the…

  • Another Night

    I watched Royal Pains (and will have to ask my primary about adrenal insuffiency, because I have all the symptoms -- that would explain losing…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.