Marilee J. Layman (mjlayman) wrote,
Marilee J. Layman

This journal has been placed in memorial status. New entries cannot be posted to it.

Very Unusual Day

This will be long. I should probably look up how to make an lj cut. Hmmm, that's pretty easy.

These folks, a couple and a young girl, moved in the beginning of July. The girl left when school started. The woman of the couple is significantly older than the man, enough so that at first I thought he might have been a son. She always wore a security guard uniform, and after a week or so of suits (interviews?), he did, too.

They've had the police here three times. The first was when they went away on a Thursday morning and left their dog on a three-foot leash in their ground-floor balcony with an unopened bag of food. No water. I found out about this when the animal control officer (ours are specialized police officers) came by Friday afternoon to find out what I knew about the couple. I was able to give her the woman's first name and tell her that the convertible parked in front of my condo belonged to the man. She told me about the dog's status and that she'd used the hose to wash the feces off the balcony and brought him water. On Saturday afternoon, she took him (she'd been by earlier to give him a blanket). They came home on Sunday, but never picked him up and he turned out not to be vaccinated for rabies, so they were cited for that.

The second was for grilling on the balcony. Most local governments have rules about this in multi-unit buildings because it's too easy to get flames going and then burn down the entire building. Our city has that law and the condos have the rule. I don't know who turned them in for these two -- the person I thought had said he hadn't and I believe him. Anyway, the officer came and told them they had to move the grill 15 feet away from the building. The guy commenced shouting (which is when I first noticed what was happening) and when the officer didn't get mad, the guy started insisting that the officer show him exactly how far 15 feet is from the building. Another officer arrived with a big tape measure. The guy followed the officers back out to the parking lot (in front of my sliding glass windows) and screamed some more. The officers talked and handed him a citation. This is the first time anybody in our development has been cited for the first time they grilled on the balcony. I think the yelling and such brought it on.

The third time had something to do with the woman's car (the city has new parking enforcement vehicles to thwart immigrants) and when the officer came to talk to them, the guy screamed again. The officer left the citation on the windshield and left.

Now, this last week, they hadn't gone to work. I supposed it might be a vacation, but they've been going away for weekends a lot and I'd think they'd go away for at least part of the week. Maybe they got fired? Then over midnight between Friday and Saturday (and I'm quoting part of a post I made to rasfc because I was posting when this happened):

I opened the door and stuck my head out about 10 minutes ago because
the renters in our building had people shouting out on their stoop.
Shouting and pounding on the walls and stairs and such so my floor was
vibrating. I said "Would y'all please stop yelling in the middle of
the night?" and the older guy immediately apologized and the younger
one did a couple seconds later. There's been raised voices (but not
as loud), and in the last couple of minutes, someone left in a car.
Neither of those guys were the couple who live there.

Later there was more shouting, but when it got loud, it got quiet right away.

So about 11:30pm last night I was catching up on the paper (I'm now a week behind) and I heard a weird kind of metal sort of crunching sound outdoors. Not a car accident, though. It startled the cats, too, so I pulled the sliding glass door blinds aside a bit and looked. My neighbors had put a rental truck in the middle of the street/parking lot and were loading things into it. That continued until about 1am. When I got up this afternoon, the woman and her car were here and their friends were all gathered around it, and then it left. The man's car is still here.

I am, of course, curious what happened. Evictions take much longer, but maybe they lost their jobs. The man was so violent vocally that maybe he did something at work and now they have to move. I dunno, but at least they'll be gone. I sure hope the next renters are better.

I went out to get the newspaper and then set up in the recliner to go through it -- it always takes longer with Sunday's -- and found that the previously-printed batch of sections and ads that comes in a blue plastic bag were from two weeks ago. The first thing I do is pull out the TV Week and mark the shows for the week and when I looked at the front page of it, I thought "I've seen this before." I could get today's WashPost at the Giant tomorrow, but I wouldn't have the TV Week for today, so I put on shoes and went to the 7-11 to get one. I carefully moved the stuff in the blue bag until I could see the front of the Magazine and see that it was new.

I don't go to the 7-11 very often, the last time was maybe six or seven years ago, but this time there was a guy sitting on the outside window sill with a bottle in a bag. He asked how I was as I went in and I said "Hi" and continued in. On the way out, he asked me if I was all right and I said I had a cold and he said I must be anemic. Well, I am, but it doesn't have to do with the cold, and he was clearly drunk so I just unlocked the car and came home. I've never seen a drunk in public in Old Town before and this was a real surprise. There were two men in line inside in front of me who were clearly homeless and also came out with bottles in bags. The 7-11 and the Opera House Gourmet are the only places you can buy take-out liquor in Old Town and I suspect the Opera House Gourmet's prices and types of liquor are a little much for the homeless. I'm having these thoughts about how the 7-11 should have their alcohol license rescinded, but I know that really won't solve things. I think I'll have to call social services this week and see what I don't know.

My cold has moved on to the stuffy painful head stage. I feel like I have a fever, but I don't. Maybe the rest of it will pass just as quickly.

Thirty-five years ago today, my mother died. Sixteen years ago today, I bought this condo. I didn't schedule the condo paper-signing that way, but it is kind of nice to have something good with the bad.

  • More Excitement

    I went to the Kaiser Fair Oaks office on Thursday to have my knee checked, but I had a massive headache. I got put into an ambulance, taken to a…

  • My Arthritis is Eating My Knee

    Or something similar: Yesterday I woke up, moved so my feet were over the side of the bed, put my hands on the bed and pushed. When I stood up, my…

  • Junie Can Open Doors!

    I tried to post this yesterday, but the circle just kept going around. I was in the kitchen and saw her reaching up to the workroom door -- where…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.